Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My other passion

One of my greatest passions in life, besides photography, is reading. I absolutely love to read. I mean to me it's not like a summertime love, here for only three months then gone for the rest of the year, or it's not something I do only when there is nothing else to do type of thing. I really LOOve, love to read. I read with the unending passion of one that cannot seemed to be quenched. For a while there, I was not reading, I had stopped so that I could focus on other things and because the books I was interested in as a teenager/young adult (i.e horror) were not of interest to me anymore. Also because it seems like when I do pick up a book, I just cannot. seem. to. put. it. down. Literally. I read while I eat, while I cook, while I feed the baby, right before bed until my eyes cannot take anymore, first thing in the morning, and even in the bathroom. It is almost like the story consumes me and I can't stop until I get to the end. I am always confused when I run into someone that is not a reader (like my husband). I ask them why. Then I explain to them why I love books so much. This is what I say, books are amazing. I mean you can be transported to another world with their words. A good writer can paint a picture so real that you can feel the moist grass under your feet, or smell the hint of lavender in your beloved's hair. It is amazing.
I can usually tell if I am going to like the book within the first few sentences. If you (the writer) can get me in the beginning, then you have got me the whole way through. I used to want to be a librarian as a kid because I thought all they did was read all day. Crazy I know. Then I wanted to write, and I tried a few times. I just never got very far. I do write poetry every now and then. In fact I even read my poetry at a Jazz and Poetry event a couple of years ago, the only problem was I was so nervous reading in front of a crowd, I felt like I was going to puke on the mike. Yeah it was pretty bad. Someone once told me I was going to be a famous writer, I am still honing my skills and waiting for the day.
Anyways, I said all that to say this, pick up a book. It is amazing the places you will go....
Alright, that is my PSA (public service announcemnt) for the day.
PEACE!

~j

No comments:

Post a Comment